The Chapter's Beginings
Rainier Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was organized on September 20, 1895. It was the second chapter to be organized in the state and was granted National Charter No. 155 on December 13, 1895. At the chapter's first regular meeting on September 20, 1895, the foremost item on the agenda was the selection of a name. It seems fitting that our charter members, dedicated to upholding the tenants of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, chose to name the chapter after one of our state's most striking landmarks, Mount Rainier.
History of Rainier Chapter House
Designed by Daniel Riggs Huntington, a well respected Seattle architect, this replica of George Washington's beloved Mount Vernon home was built in 1925. Employed as the City of Seattle architect from 1912 until 1921, Huntington also designed the Fremont library, the Lake Union Steam Plant, several fire stations, and the Washington Street Boat Landing. While the Chapter House was "purpose built" as a meeting place, the membership always intended their hospitality to extend to the community in the form of a venue for private, public and non-profit events.
The Chapter House Today
Located on the northwest slope of Capitol Hill in the historic Harvard-Belmont Landmark District, we continue the mission of our visionary founders by offering our house as an events venue. The Rainier Chapter DAR still holds their monthly meetings and special events here, while continuing to maintain and care for the house for future generations to come.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.